The Poets Party recognizes Amiri Baraka as Poet Laureate of New Jersey and enthusiastically endorses his re-in-state-ment!
1 comment:
Anonymous
said...
Here, here!
It's funny. The first time I ever heard of Amiri Baraka was during my undergraduate years at Wellesley. Students were protesting his presence. I wish now that I had paid more attention. Everything I've read by Amiri Baraka has made me think, made me jump up and say, YES, that is exactly what is wrong here! He said, "There is no other way to measure ideas' usefulness except in the crucible of real life." This, along with countless other things he has said, has inspired me more than anything or anyone else I can think of. I am so proud to be a part of Naropa, to be able to learn from him and others like him who are awake enough and angry enough to fight the status quo. This is why I am here, and why Naropa is here, and why our presence needs to be sung from the highest places of the earth. We're just warming up.
Have your voice be heard in the Poets Party by posting your poem, your manifesto, your inauguration speech. Submit your post to poetsparty.yourvoice@gmail.com
The views expressed through the Poets Party blog are those of the individual authors. The Poets Party is a place for free speech and political creativity. While individual authors may be deeply enamored of a particular candidate or platform, the Poets Party is a platform for your platform. We do not endorse, we just invite you to step up on the soapbox and be heard.
This blog is not an official publication of Naropa University.
1 comment:
Here, here!
It's funny. The first time I ever heard of Amiri Baraka was during my undergraduate years at Wellesley. Students were protesting his presence. I wish now that I had paid more attention. Everything I've read by Amiri Baraka has made me think, made me jump up and say, YES, that is exactly what is wrong here! He said, "There is no other way to measure ideas' usefulness except in the crucible of real life." This, along with countless other things he has said, has inspired me more than anything or anyone else I can think of. I am so proud to be a part of Naropa, to be able to learn from him and others like him who are awake enough and angry enough to fight the status quo. This is why I am here, and why Naropa is here, and why our presence needs to be sung from the highest places of the earth. We're just warming up.
Post a Comment